Do you Need to Replace Your Ductwork? | Know the Signs
About 20 to 30 percent of the air that moves through the duct system is lost due to leaks, holes, and poorly connected ductwork.
Leaking or damaged ductwork in your Western New York home can prevent cooled and heated air from being properly distributed throughout your home, while also causing higher energy bills. There are signs that your ductwork is in need of repair or replacement. Do you need to replace your ductwork?
Why is Ductwork Important?
Homes with forced air HVAC systems, use ducts to distribute conditioned air throughout the house. About 20 to 30 percent of the air that moves through the duct system is lost due to leaks, holes, and poorly connected ductwork. This results in higher utility bills and causes issues in keeping your home comfortable, no matter what the thermostat is set at.
If there are issues and you need to replace your ductwork, but haven’t, it can shorten the life of your HVAC system by making it work harder. Ductwork that isn’t working as it should will impact your entire Western New York HVAC system and your home’s comfort level.
What are the Signs that you need to Replace Your Ductwork?
Ductwork usually is built to last, with no issues, for about 15 years, so you should be aware of the age of your ducts and watch for signs that it is time to replace your ductwork.
– Noticeable Damage: Perhaps the easiest way to identify that your ductwork is in need of repair or replacement is finding damage that is visible to the eye. Kinks, holes, gaps, low hanging sections, etc. are obvious indications that your ducts need professional heating and cooling repair.
– Noisy: If your HVAC system is making observable new loud noises when running, there could be an issue with your ducts. Rattling, vibrating, or whistling sounds usually mean that your ductwork has something loose, a hole, disconnected joints, amongst other things.
– Higher Electric Bills: If your electric costs continue to go up, you could be losing energy through leaks and holes in your ductwork. A heating and cooling professional can test your system to identify any problems. If there are leaks and they are small enough, you may be able to have your ductwork sealed; however, for larger issues, it may be best to have your ductwork replaced.
– Poor Indoor Air Quality: The EPA has identified poor indoor air quality as both a short- and long-term health risk to American homeowners. Gaps, holes, or other leaks in your ductwork let pollen, bacteria, mold, dust, and other unwanted particles into your HVAC system and to circulate throughout your home. A poor indoor air quality test, increased illness with your family, and/or persistent dust throughout your home, can mean that you need to replace your ductwork.
– Uneven Temperature Flow: If your HVAC system is causing hot and cold spots throughout your Western New York home, that is a sign that your ductwork has issues. Faulty ductwork can cause uneven temperatures throughout your house, because your ducts are not sending enough air to certain parts of your home. If you suspect your home is being heated or cooled unevenly, you can check this by using an indoor thermometer.
How can you Ensure Your Ducts Function Properly throughout the Year?
Having regular furnace and AC tune-ups can help you to avoid having issues with your ductwork during the very hot or extremely cold months of the year. Testing your HVAC system’s ducts for leaks will help you stay on top of any repairs you may need.
Having your ducts recurrently cleaned and tested can also help improve air quality in your Western New York home. If you have duct leaks, having them fixed will make your system more efficient and allow it to more effectively heat and cool your home. Ducts can become the breeding ground for dust mites, rodents, and insects and should be cleaned at least once a year.
Preventative maintenance can save you serious money. Not only does a professional tune-up from Duffett Plumbing, Heating & AC help prevent breakdowns (and repair costs), but it’ll also boost your system’s energy-efficiency.
Duffett Plumbing, Heating & AC is your locally trusted home services team. We’re proud to provide the very best in heating and air conditioning in Hamburg, NY and Erie County. We’re also your full-service plumbing team. We’re available 24/7. Contact us today.